Monday, October 15, 2012

call me...crazy?

I never thought in a million bajillion years I would ever be pulling out this pattern again, but I'm finding myself working on this:

DSC_0541

I love my first weekender to pieces, but once I finished it I never imagined a second one anywhere in my future. While I was #notgoingtosewingsummit, I was avidly following along Instagram the whole weekend, and fell in love with the scrappy weekenders, that were popping up, inspired by the scrappy weekender Elizabeth made, and decided I needed to have one.  Now.

 DSC_0547

I dug out my blue, green, grey and yellow scrap bins, and went to town sorting out my favorite scraps, and stitching them using the quilt as you go method Elizabeth described here.

DSC_0542

I have the two main panels stitched, with the pockets, top and sides to go.  With one weekender under my belt, I'm planning a few alterations to the pattern already, including a removable shoulder strap like this one, and perhaps leaving the side pockets off like this one, as I plan including lots and lots of interior pockets.  Including bag feet and a hard bottom is a must on this weekender, as the bottom of my first one has taken a good bit of a beating from use.

DSC_0548

For now my scrap bins have fully taken over my sewing table, and I'm enjoying stitching away!  More to come on this guy soon, I'm still deciding on a cording and handle fabric, but I'm thinking some Crosshatch sketch in citron or maybe some Heath in grey may be just the ticket.


12 comments:

  1. I started a Weekender 2 years ago - this is great inspiration to drag it back out and finish!! I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is going to look fantastic! Love all the colors you're using, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence! Lori & I are hosting a Weekender sew along -- just announced it today at http://www.fabricmutt.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-long-weekend-blog-hop.html!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your panels so far & can't wait to see how it all comes together! I'm glad I'm not the only one with an entire Pinterest board devoted to the Weekender. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't blame you at all for wanting to make another one. There have been some fabulous Weekenders popping up lately. Yours is going to be awesome, too! Love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAAAAAHHHH, y'all have got to stop with these quilted weekenders because I am wanting to jump on the bandwagon but I just don't have time right now!!! I LOVE the colors you chose. It's going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not crazy...just inspired ;D! I really love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you enjoy it you're not crazy in my opinion. 'Though I wished Ihad such lovely scraps and scrap bins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! good for you! I've been thinking of pulling it out again too. I think i'm just waiting for the right fabric to hit me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabrics you are using on these bags are sooooo cute! Fun project

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is looking amazing! Wish I had your scrap stash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, I swore I'd never make one, but I loved all the scrappy ones I saw at SS and might have to now!

    ReplyDelete